Most everyone loves watching waterfalls and the experience of the majestic forces of nature behind them. There are 12 waterfalls accessible from the Blue Ridge Parkway, 4 in Virginia and 8 in North Carolina. Below is a list of these waterfalls starting at milepost 0 in Northern Virginia.
The picture to the right is Crabtree Falls at milepost 339.5 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Waterfalls on the Blue Ridge Parkway
White Rock Falls. 1.8 Mile Round Trip, Moderate. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 19.9, Slacks Overlook. To find the trail, go across the road and walk north. Wooden sign marks the trailhead.
- Wigwam Falls. 0.4 Mile Loop, Easy. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 34.4, Yankee Horse Ridge Parking Area. Trailhead is obvious at parking area.
- Apple Orchard Falls. 2.4 Miles Round Trip, Strenuous. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 78.4, Sunset Fields Overlook. Trailhead is obvious in middle of parking area.
- Fallingwater Cascades. 1.6 Mile Loop, Moderate. Found on the Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 83.1, Fallingwater Cascades Overlook.
- Cascades. 1.2 Mile Loop, Moderate. Found on the Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 271.9, Jeffress Park. Self-guiding trail is near the rest rooms.
- Boone Fork Falls. 5.0 Mile Loop, Strenuous. Found on the Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 296.4, Julian Price Park Picnic Area. Cross the bridge near the restrooms. Big brown sign will have map and marks trailhead.
- Linville Falls. 1.0 to 1.6 Mile Round Trip, Easy to Strenuous. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 316.4, Linville Falls Park. Easy to find... several maps and a vistors center.
- Duggers Creek Falls. 0.3 Mile Loop, Easy. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 316.4, Linville Falls Park. Trailhead found along parking lot sidewalk. Smaller version of Linville Falls found in same area.
- Crabtree Falls. 2.5 Mile Loop, Moderate. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 339.5, Crabtree Falls Campground. Take the road into the campground and stop at the campground information building to pick up a map. Parking area next to information building.
- Glassmine Falls. 0.0 Mile, No Hike. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 361.2, Glassmine Falls Overlook.
- Douglas Falls. 6.0 Miles Round Trip, Strenuous. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 364.6, Craggy Gardens Visitor Center. Find trail information at visitor center.
- Waterfalls in Graveyard Fields. 0.8 to 3.2 Miles Round Trip, Easy to Strenuous. Found on Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 419, Graveyard Fields Overlook. Narrow stairway at parking area marks trailhead.
Below are resources available on our web site to help you find the Blue Ridge Parkway waterfalls and others near the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Great Waterfalls of North Carolina
An informative guidebook for locating and photographing 65 waterfalls and cascades in the beautiful Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina.
VBR Photo Journal Resources
Below are links to the months in which we feature waterfalls in our Photo Journal. Prints are available by request.