Located near the Virginia state line, Cumberland Knob was the site where construction of the Blue
Ridge Parkway was started in 1935 as a part of President Roosevelt's Civilian
Conservation Corps. It was therefore the first recreation area to be opened
to the public, and is still a favorite destination for both locals and
visitors. The mixture of lush woodlands and open fields, housing a variety
of birds and other wildlife, is ideal for leisurely walks or a more demanding
hike to nearby Gully Creek.