Due to expected heavy rain, high winds and the threat of historic flooding in some parts of the Blue Ridge region, the Blue Ridge Parkway is again reminding visitors to use extreme caution when traveling this weekend. Parkway staff is already seeing downed trees and small rock slides. The potential for flash flooding increases the possibility of additional damage and road hazards.
As a result, the following closure information is expected to be in effect through this weekend’s weather event:
- Sharp Top Trail Bus Service (Milepost 86) is closed through the storm event this weekend
- Due to flooding earlier in the week the closure between Milepost 106-165 remains in effect
- Back country camping and the fire road at Rock Castle Gorge (Milepost 168) remain closed
- Traditional music concerts at Roanoke Mountain Picnic Area (Milepost 120) and Mabry Mill (Milepost 176) are cancelled for Sunday.
- Living history exhibit area at Mabry Mill (Milepost 176) is open; the restaurant is closed.
In North Carolina
- The Blue Ridge Music Center’s Steel Wheels concert scheduled for Saturday has been moved to The Historic Earle Theatre in downtown Mt. Airy, North Carolina
- Evening programs at Julian Price Campground (Milepost 296) are cancelled; Moses Cone Manor House Upstairs Tours (Milepost 294) are expected over the weekend
- All roads throughout the Pisgah District (from Milepost 317 through 469) will close Friday night, beginning at 5:00 p.m. with the entire district, including the Asheville corridor closed by 9:00 p.m.; Additional notes for Pisgah District are:
- Linville Campground and Visitor Center (Milepost 316) will remain open this weekend via US221
- Linville Picnic Area (Milepost 316.5) will be closed due to low lying area
- Crabtree Falls Campground and Picnic Area (Milepost 339-340) is closed
- Craggy Gardens Visitor Center and Picnic Area (Milepost 364-367) will be closed
- Pending Saturday morning road conditions, the Folk Art Center (Milepost 382) and Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center (Milepost 384) are expected to reopen via US74 or US70
- The Pisgah Inn (Milepost 408.6)and Pisgah Campground (Milepost 408.8) will remain OPEN via Route 276
- Waterrock Knob Visitor Center (Milepost 451) is closed
- Campground and ranger-led programs for Friday and Saturday have been cancelled
- Parkway staff are keeping an eye on dams, rivers, and streams and will make additional closures as necessary
Due to the nature of this weather event, information is subject to change. Visitors are encouraged to check for Blue Ridge Parkway road closures throughout the weekend.
As Parkway managers prepare for possible impacts of this storm system, the top priority in all decisions is the safety and well-being of staff and visitors. The Blue Parkway is a living and fragile resource; and the public’s adherence to these warnings is vital to their personal safety as well as the protection of the Parkway.